The Kingsley House Early Head Start Parents as Educators program provides high quality and thorough child-development and parenting information to assist parents in creating safe, stimulating home child care environments. The program aims to promote healthy prenatal outcomes for pregnant women, enhance the development of very young children and promote healthy family functioning.
How it Works
The program takes place in the family’s home with parents leading the curriculum. Kingsley House staff known as Parent Educators visit homes and assist parents with the program. The Kingsley House Parent Educator develops and maintains supportive, strength-based, culturally-sensitive relationships with young children and their families. They are responsible for ensuring that Early Head Start participants receive comprehensive home visiting to ensure the optimal development of mothers and their children that will assist them in establishing healthy parent-child relationships. The Parent Educator ensures compliance with the Head Start Program Performance Standards for Early Head Start Home-Based Services.
Parents as Educators allows parents to develop as nurturing and responsive caregivers during infancy. Parents become their child’s first teacher, creating a personalized educational experience enhancing parent/child bonding.
- Pregnant Moms and children ages birth to 3 years old
- Must be a resident of Orleans Parish
- Must have a qualifying income based on the Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Parent must have a valid ID (driver’s license or state issue identification)
- Must have child’s birth certificate
- Medicaid card and food stamp print out
- Last four current/check stubs and/or other source of income