Kingsley House, a United Way Community Impact Partner, nationally renowned as the oldest Settlement House in the South, has served more than half a million people since it was founded in 1896. Today, nearly, 7,000 infants, children, youth, parents and disabled and elderly from throughout Southeast Louisiana participate annually in a comprehensive array of nationally accredited and state certified programs.

 

Our mission — “Kingsley House educates children, strengthens families and builds community” — remains vital to this day. Each year, we provide nationally accredited and state certified programs to thousands of infants, children, youth, parents, senior citizens and medically fragile adults from throughout Southeastern Louisiana.

 

Our Values

We are committed to:

  • Integrity, transparency and excellence
  • Best practices and evidence-based programs
  • Powerful partnerships with all stakeholders that are strategic and meaningful
  • Cultural sensitivity and diversity
  • Services that build self-sufficiency and independence
  • Raising the bar on excellence in human services by increasing the visibility of what excellence is and how to achieve it

 

Our Operating Principles

We provide:

  • Nationally accredited and recognized programs that provide positive results in a nurturing environment
  • Education and advocacy on issues affecting children, families, seniors, and community
  • Fiscally responsible programs and agency operations
  • A focus on measuring results and documenting success

 

Continuous Quality Improvement

Kingsley House is dedicated to a continuous quality improvement (CQI) process. This philosophy assures all clients receive effective and professional services. Our CQI plan commits time and resources to provide quality clinical programs, quality staff resources, ongoing building improvements, and financial stability. It is our belief that consistent review of all our procedures promotes improved performance.

Kingsley House is dedicated to offering services that adhere to evidence based/informed practices. Examination of outcome data and client satisfaction is one aspect of our CQI process.

A Beacon of Hope in our Community

At Kingsley House, we are proud of our rich history in helping to improve the lives of families in the community. During our many years of service, we have served a vast array of people; we helped Irish and German immigrants settle in New Orleans during the end of the 19th century, provided neighborhood children and families with educational and recreational opportunities throughout the 20th century, and continue to help residents resettle after Hurricane Katrina in the new millennium.

While the needs of the community have changed over the years, Kingsley House has retained its fundamental mission to educate children, strengthen families and build community.

Established in 1896

Kingsley House was founded in 1896 by the Reverend Beverley Warner of Trinity Episcopal Church and is the oldest settlement house in the South. Warner, a graduate of Princeton and native of New Jersey, came to New Orleans in 1893 to Trinity Church and saw a need for action in the nearby neighborhood. In addition to being a clergyman, he was an author who advocated the use of wealth to help the poor to improve their livelihood while maintaining self respect, as exemplified in his novel Troubled Waters. He eventually realized the fruition of his ideals when he established Kingsley House to help immigrants overcome language, cultural, social and family displacement barriers as they settled in New Orleans.

Legacy of Eleanor McMain

Eleanor McMain was instrumental in shaping Kingsley House into a model of excellence in the field of social work. After taking over day-to-day operations as head resident in 1901, she ensured the settlement house offered programs comparable to any in the country. In the years to come under her direction, Kingsley House became a New Orleans institution and she herself would gain fame as a social activist and one of the preeminent social workers in the U.S. In fact, she helped establish the Tulane School of Social Work, which was formally instituted at the Kingsley House campus in 1921 and is the fifth-oldest school of social work in the country. She also visited Hull House in Chicago and worked closely with Jane Addams to develop effective methods in meeting the needs of the residents and the surrounding community. Her vision and legacy continues to shape the mission of Kingsley House to this day by providing services the community needs most.

Early Programs

In the early days, Kingsley House actively identified problems facing the community and worked together with key stakeholders in the community to develop solutions. For example, staff and members gathered facts about tuberculosis and formed the Anti-Tuberculosis League, where doctors provided free health clinical visits and checkups. Kingsley House also worked to pass a child labor law and helped eradicate yellow fever by screening windows and cisterns throughout the neighborhood. In addition, classes were offered to teach valuable trade skills and general education. In fact, the first kindergarten in the state of Louisiana was introduced at Kingsley House and was provided free of charge to children living in the neighborhood. Lighthouse for the Blind also evolved from Kingsley House classes for the sight impaired in 1916.

Haven for Recreational and Social Activities

Throughout its history, Kingsley House has been a recreational, educational and social center for thousands upon thousands of youth in the surrounding area, particularly among residents of the adjacent St. Thomas housing development which was erected in the 1940s. Over the years, a myriad of sporting events, dances and other recreational activities have been held on our grounds. Our swimming pool, which opened in 1957, was the first integrated pool in the city of New Orleans and provided all children in the area with hours of enjoyment and much needed swim instruction during the sweltering summer months. Kingsley House is also the venue where countless young boys and girls learned to play basketball, volleyball, badminton and other sports, and continue to do so today. In fact, the New Orleans Recreation Department was first instituted at Kingsley House.

At the heart of Kingsley House are the people that comprise our family. We have a staff that provides high quality services to our participants, a Board of Directors who guide the agency, and over 7,000 individuals who participate in our programs each year. We also have a wide network of partners with whom we collaborate in accomplishing our mission.


 

The Kingsley House Family Includes:

Staff & Board of Directors

Our Board of Directors come from a cross-section of professional backgrounds and provide expert leadership and guidance in overseeing the strategic direction and management of the organization. The Board meets each month to conduct general business and focuses on issues important to the agency and community as well. All board members serve without compensation.

Partner Organizations

At Kingsley House, we have a wide network of partners with whom we collaborate in accomplishing our mission. These organizations range from federal, state and local public institutions to small, grassroots groups, all working together toward rebuilding our community.

Originating in the city of New Orleans, we have expanded beyond our Main Campus in the Lower Garden District and have additional offices in New Orleans East, Columbia Parc at the Bayou District and Educare New Orleans.  We serve participants throughout the 13 parishes of Southeast Louisiana.

Office Locations

Main Campus
1600 Constance St.
New Orleans, LA 70130
Phone: 504.523.6221
Fax: 504.523.4450

New Orleans East Office
5640 Read Blvd., Suite 610
New Orleans, LA 70127
Phone: 504.240.2264
Fax: 504.240.2117

Columbia Parc Office
1401 Saint Denis Street
New Orleans, LA 70122
Phone: 504.282.2424
Fax: 504.284.2224

Educare New Orleans
3801 St. Bernard Avenue
New Orleans, La 70122
Phone: 504-308-3400
Fax: 504-304-9205

Emploment-page

Employment Opportunities

Recognized as a leader in the area of social service, Kingsley House selects the most passionate and skilled social work professionals. As one of our staff, you will reflect the values that make us a premier social service agency. Here, in a diverse environment where individual aspirations are fulfilled and quality of life is enhanced, you will be inspired to work alongside your fellow employees to help children and families in Southeast Louisiana.

Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of Kingsley House, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. Kingsley House does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or veteran status.

Diversity & Inclusion
Kingsley House Inc., with its employees, works towards its mission to educate children, strengthen families and build community. Kingsley House is proud to be an active member of the communities in which we do business. Building Communities the Kingsley House way is the blueprint of our commitment to support and invest in these communities.

Benefits

  • Health Insurance –BCBS-Louisiana
  • Dental Insurance
  • Vision Insurance
  • Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment
  • Short-Term Disability Insurance 100% Paid by Employer
  • Long-Term Disability Insurance 100% Paid by Employer
  • 403 (b) Retirement Plan
  • Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

Open Positions

1896

Kingsley House, the first Settlement House in the South, opens at 929 Tchoupitoulas as a part of the parish work of Trinity Episcopal Church, under the guidance of Dr. Beverley Warner, rector.

1900

Kingsley House moves to 1202 Annunciation Street. Under the head resident, Miss Katherine Hardy, Miss Eleanor McMain becomes a resident worker.

1901

The Kingsley House library is founded by the Sunshine Society. The night program begins with a class of four pupils. Dr. Warner appoints Miss Eleanor McMain head resident.

1902

Kingsley House becomes independently incorporated, with the charter of the Kingsley House Association signed by Dr. Beverley Warner as president, and Rabbi I.L. Leucht of Tour Synagogue as vice president.

1903

Dr. Samuel Logan opens a clinic for women and children at Kingsley House. The first Kingsley House summer school opens.

1904

The Kingsley House playground opens on Constance Street, the first playground in the city of New Orleans. Dr. George S. Brown and Mrs. Maggie Collins, a member of the Kingsley House Woman’s Club, join the nationwide fight against tuberculosis and help form the Anti-Tuberculosis League. Miss Eleanor McMain and a Tulane University student, John K. Towles, make a survey of the housing conditions of the neighborhood.

1905

Kingsley House closes because of the Yellow Fever epidemic. The neighbors and workers of Kingsley House join in the fight to rid New Orleans of the epidemic. Kingsley House hosts initial meetings of the Woman’s League, with Eleanore McMain as its co-founder and first president, calling for an end to inadequate housing, unsanitary conditions and deplorable schools.

1906

Kingsley House leads the campaign for child labor laws.

1907

The Kingsley House Board approves the plan for “Fresh Air Colony,” the first Kingsley House summer camp at Lewisburg, Louisiana. The camp is destroyed by a hurricane.

1909

Kingsley House opens”Camp Onward” in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.

1910

November 27, Dr. Warner’s death. Rabbi I. L. Leucht of Touro Synagogue is elected president of Kingsley House.

1911

Classes for the sight impaired are opened by Mr. Tom Slough, who was blinded by an accident. As a result of theses classes at Kingsley House,  Louisiana’s Lighthouse for the Blind was founded in 1916.

1914

Kingsley House, in partnership with Tulane University, launches the Southern School of Social Sciences and Public Services, offering the first classes in social welfare in the Deep South. June 4, Rabbi Leucht’s death.  Mr. Warren Kearny becomes president of the Kingsley House Board.

1916

The property at 1202 Annunciation Street is purchased for Kingsley House by Mr. Sim Weis.

1917

The new “Camp Onward” opens at Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.

1920

Miss McMain receives The Times-Picayune Loving Cup for distinguished civic service to the city of New Orleans.

1924

The deed to the property at 1600 Constance Street and funds for building at our present location are given to Kingsley House by Mr. and Mrs. Frank B. Williams.

1925

May 26 – The formal opening of Kingsley House and the New Orleans Day Nursery is held at our present home. Kingsley House joins the Community Chest (now the United Way) as a charter member.

1927

The Tulane School of Social Work, the 5th oldest school of social work in the country, is opened on the Kingsley House campus, where it remained until the university built a permanent building on their main campus.

1934

After decades of leadership, Kingsley House mourns the passing of head resident Eleanore McMain.  The city of New Orleans named the Eleanore McMain Secondary School in recognition of her many contributions to the community.

1941

The St. Thomas Housing Development is opened.

1946

Kingsley House operated an extension recreation program for a textile union, the first effort in New Orleans to offer a program for both African-American and white children in the same location.

1952

The United Fund (later to become United Way) was formed and Kingsley House played an active part in this effort of organized giving and shared aims.

1957

Swimming pools are opened at Kingsley House and Camp Onward.t.

1964

Kingsley House is the first agency in New Orleans to integrate its programs.

1967

Kingsley House establishes one of the state’s first Head Start Preschool programs. Major renovation of the agency’s historic campus joins the buildings and a new facility for the preschool is built.

1985

The first Family Preservation Services program in the South is started at Kingsley House.

1996

Year-long Centennial Celebration! Construction began on major expansion and renovation of facilities.

1998

Kingsley House is awarded national accreditation by the Council on Accreditation for Children and Family Services, the largest accrediting body for social and human services in the world. Kingsley House establishes the River Parishes Family Resource Center in LaPlace, serving the families of St. John the Baptist, St. James and St. Charles parishes.

2003

Kingsley House, in partnership with the Magic Johnson Foundation and Hewlett Packard, opens the Magic Johnson Community Empowerment Center.  One of 19 in the U.S. and the only one in Louisiana, the state-of-the-art technology center is available free of charge for individuals and groups in the community needing access to internet research, job search assistance and computer skills training.

2005

August 29, 2005: Hurricane Katrina destroyed communities along the Gulf Coast and caused $4 million in damages to Kingsley House’s historic buildings and programs.

September 30, 2005: Work begins on repairs to the Kingsley House campus.

October 15, 2005: Kingsley House reopened with a core staff of 30, less than one-third of pre-Katrina staff numbers. Kingsley House establishes the Gulf Coast’s first Resettlement and Recovery Center, providing outreach and support to over 2,500 families within the first few months after Katrina.

November 2005: Kingsley House forms unprecedented partnership with several of the largest human services organizations in the Greater New Orleans area to meet the needs of returning and continually displaced residents throughout Southeast Louisiana.

December 1, 2005: Kingsley House is the first child care center to reopen in New Orleans and the first Adult Day Health Care and Senior Center to reopen in the city.

2006

March 2006: Kingsley House is the first social and human services agency in New Orleans to complete all of its storm-related repairs and resume full operations.

May 12, 2006: Former Presidents George Bush and Bill Clinton visit Kingsley House and recognize the vital work of the agency in recovery and resettlement.

October 2006: Kingsley House opens satellite office on the West Bank to assist relocated and continually displaced families with Medicaid and Food Stamp enrollment, as well as mental health counseling and support services.

2008

January: Kingsley House establishes a satellite office in New Orleans East, providing much needed health care outreach and mental health counseling to an area of the city that continues to struggle toward recovery.

2009

May: Kingsley House partners with Columbia Residential to provide Community and Supportive Services to former St. Bernard Public Housing Residents, assisting them in their efforts to return to the new Columbia Parc at the Bayou District mixed income redevelopment.

2010

May: Kingsley House collaborates with United Way partner organizations to provide assistance to families impacted by the BP Oil Spill disaster.

2011

Fall: Kingsley House opens new Head Start early childhood development and education program for 40 children and families at Columbia Parc at the Bayou District.

2012

Spring: Kingsley House opens 2nd Head Start site at Columbia Parc at the Bayou District for an additional 40 children and families.

September: Kingsley House River Parishes Family Resource Center partners with St. John United Way to assist residents impacted by Hurricane Isaac.

2013

Kingsley House, The Educare Learning Network, Bayou District Foundation and Totally Community Action (TCA) partner to bring Educare to New Orleans.  Educare New Orleans will be the first early childhood development and education facility of its kind in the Gulf South. Kingsley House will manage and operate the center for 150 children, ages 0 – 5 years and their families. Educare New Orleans operates with a unique blend of public and private support and is centrally located in the nationally recognized mixed income residential community, Columbia Parc at the Bayou District.

Today

Kingsley House continues to lead the non-profit sector and provide essential services to our community’s most vulnerable children and families.